05/01/2016

The Struggle Is Real (Part 2)

In my previous post HERE, I went over some issues that are bothering me in my home, that I believe are hindering us as a family to live a "happy" home life. On this post, I am going to point out a few factors that I think may be the "culprits", the hindering factors.


  • We get upset with our kids when they create a tornado in every room they pass through. "Pick that up, see you left this, that...do you have to touch everything?!" In some ways, I believe that we as parents are to blame. First of all, if we didn't have "all of that stuff" in the home in the first place, then our curious little children would not be leaving a trail of stuff while they lived in our home. If we had less stuff, working on chores and keeping up with bits wouldn't be so overwhelming to them, and we would yell less. Did that make any sense at all?? We are the ones who bring endless stuff -games, toys and books, crafts, clothes, and bits and bobs into our homes, the kids don't. We do. We allow the kids to. Who's in charge? It's only the natural curious nature of our kids who explore everything and anything around them. What is our home supposed to be like for us, and for them? Secondly, accumulation of things and stuff isn't coded in us, it's learnt. Tell me if I'm wrong (I know, genetics...)? Does accumulation happen through social pressure, in the society we live in? "Everything must be tried, and experienced!", "Taste THIS, craft THAT, sleep on THIS!" We must do EVERYTHING. We become secret hoarders. Always wanting more, because it is an endless sea of possibilities and upgrades. One thing I read somewhere that hit home was this, "You can do ANYTHING, but not EVERYTHING" If only, we could apply it to everything in our lives. We cannot keep up. 
  • (This may be a small factor of stuff in your home, but it's still a factor) I have a cupboard full of supplements. What could be wrong with that? It's healthy! Oh yes, yes they are, BUT! Firstly, what if we spent that $$$ on organic nutrient dense foods instead, -or at least half of it? It's starting to make sense to me. I have bottles upon bottles of pills, that are very much good for me, yet I would sometimes second guess on purchasing organic eggs, vegetables, and beef! Yet I would still spend $$ on vitamins. We wouldn't need supplementation if I was focusing on nutrient dense foods.  Secondly, I carry stress over remembering to eat my pills, so I can be healthy, I'll be doomed if I don't. Right? "So many pills to swallow, at these times of the day, with these meals. After my workout" "Oh shoot! I shouldn't take these now, they'll keep me up all night!" 

It's not meant to be a prison of anxiety of healthy living. Healthy living should be liberating, not the opposite wherein we become so fixated on what goes into our body. I tend to lean towards stressing more about my physical health than I do about my spiritual well being, unfortunately. You see? This is only one example of the things around us, in our homes that we imprison ourselves with. Let me list a few things that imprison me. 

  • Family "heirlooms".
  • Unfinished craft projects, albums.
  • Potential craft projects. (Good ones!)
  • Books.
  • Potential school books. (Where do I find the time, to teach it all?!)
  • Games, puzzles etc. (The fun family fun nights, coming up?!)
  • China. (Other kitchen stuff that I can't seem to choose what to part with)
  • Baby related blankets, linen. 
  • Stuffies. (Every stuffy has a story, to each child, how can I get rid of?)
  • Furniture. (What if we need these pieces later?)
My list goes on and on and on.

The truth is, I will never have enough time to enjoy them all as frequently as they should be, in my mind. Are they worth the space? Are they worth the visual noise, the guilt ("I still haven't played that game with my kids", "One day, bla bla bla with these"), the reminder that you are incapable of delivering? Incapable of making things happen, incapable of following through with regimes, unwritten rules, potential hobbies and then the images you've created in your mind with all of the stuff that's in your home. No, this has to stop. We can do ANYTHING, but not EVERYTHING. Now is the time to figure out what that "anything" is, and what the rest are that can be let go of. Are you following what I'm trying to put into words?

2 comments:

  1. Love it. You are inspiring me as I start this year off with some decluttering.

    One thing that gives me problems is the fact that most of the things in our home are GOOD things. Not junk. Each has potential. Most have memories. It's just that we don't have room for them, and their presence stresses me out. So it's not just a matter of "Is this a good and useful item?" but "Does it merit taking up space in our very limited house-space?" Hard decisions.

    Thanks for the good words!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing Diana, everything seems to have potential in my home. These are good things. I need this mantra "get rid of the good to enjoy the great!" Why are we carrying these "memories" and passing down these memories? Doesn't scripture tell us to not store treasures on earth where rust and moths destroy...? So what if they are good and beautiful and "useful", like you put it, does it merit taking up space in our very limited house space? How to go about it? I feel I know what to do intellectually but my heart isn't understanding it. ha ha!

      Delete